Monday, December 28, 2009

Linux: To Compile wpa_supplicant on Debian 3.1 Sarge

I was using good old Debian Linux 3.1 Sarge when I found out Sarge's wpasupplicant couldn't work well with ndiswrapper-supported Windows network drivers. So I set out to compile wpa_supplicant on my own. First, I installed the following development packages.



  • gcc-3.4
  • libssl0.9.7
  • make


Then, I downloaded the wpa_supplicant source (wpa_supplicant-0.6.9.tar.gz) from http://hostap.epitest.fi/wpa_supplicant. I unpacked the source and read the README files.



tar xzvf wpa_supplicant-0.6.9.tar.gz
cd wpa_supplicant-0.6.9/wpa_supplicant


I went into the wpa_supplicant subfolder and created .config to customize my build. The following is the contents of my .config:



CONFIG_WIRELESS_EXTENSION=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_HOSTAP=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_ATMEL=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_WEXT=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_RALINK=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_NDISWRAPPER=y
CONFIG_DRIVER_IPW=y
CONFIG_IEEE8021X_EAPOL=y
CONFIG_EAP_MD5=y
CONFIG_EAP_MSCHAPV2=y
CONFIG_EAP_TLS=y
CONFIG_EAP_PEAP=y
CONFIG_EAP_TTLS=y
CONFIG_EAP_GTC=y
CONFIG_EAP_OTP=y
CONFIG_EAP_SIM=y
CONFIG_EAP_AKA=y
CONFIG_EAP_PSK=y
CONFIG_EAP_SAKE=y
CONFIG_EAP_GPSK=y
CONFIG_EAP_PAX=y
CONFIG_EAP_LEAP=y
CONFIG_EAP_IKEV2=y
CONFIG_EAP=y
CONFIG_WPS=y


Then, I began compilation by running make.


make


The compilation was successful. I installed wpa_supplicant with the following command.



make install


The following files are copied to the system.



/usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant
/usr/local/sbin/wpa_passphrase
/usr/local/sbin/wpa_cli

2 comments:

  1. Hi !
    Do you use WPS ? (seen in your .config)

    What is your wireless NIC card ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    No, I don't use WPS.

    I have many wireless NIC cards, including Atheros AR9285, AirLink AWLL3026, Belkin F5D7050 and Belkin F5D8053.

    ReplyDelete

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog is about current events and issues concerning general population. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

icon
Powered By Blogger