Saturday, August 8, 2009

Mencoder: Extract Sound from a DVD track and Save it as .WAV file

A friend of mine asked me to make an audio CD from the sound extracted from a DVD track. For this job, I used mencoder which I've compiled for both Windows and Linux. After several attempts, I found the right mencoder command to extract sound from a DVD track to a raw headerless uncompressed PCM format. The track I wanted was the second track on the DVD. Here's my mencoder command:


mencoder.exe dvd://2 -o track2.raw -of rawaudio -oac pcm -ovc frameno

This will produce a file which only holds uncompressed PCM data. You can't yet play it with a media player. It's got to be converted to the .WAV format. I opened it in audacity and chose File, Import, Raw Data... from the menu. In the Import Data... dialog, I chose the following settings:


  • Encoding: Signed 16-bit PCM
  • Byte-order: Little-endian
  • Channels: 2 Channels (Stereo)
  • Start offset: 0 bytes
  • Amount to import: 100 %
  • Sample Rate: 44100 Hz

Audacity opened it with no problem. Then, I saved the file in .WAV fomat by selecting File, Export... from the menu.


The resulting .WAV file can be burnt to a CD using most CD burners including InfraRecoder and CDBurnerXP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About This Blog

KBlog logo This blog is about current events and issues concerning general population. Thanks for visiting the blog and posting your comments.

© Contents by KBlog

© Blogger template by Emporium Digital 2008

Followers

Total Pageviews

icon
Powered By Blogger